Myles Hire
Long and Short Term Vehicle Hire
home | terms | faq | contract hire | check a driving licence | commercial vehicle centre | contact us

View Mobile Version

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

What do I need to hire a vehicle?

  • A current full UK driving license held for a minimum of 3 years (endorsements permitting).
  • Plastic driving license. (If you still have the old style license please bring this along with a form of photographic identification.
  • A utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 3 months.
  • If the driver is moving house – proof of the new address is required for insurance purposes.
  • A “License Summary” obtained from the DVLA website. If you cannot provide this please bring a “check code” obtained from the DVLA website or the drivers National Insurance number so that a license check can be carried out in our office.
  • Credit/Debit card for payment and deposit. (3.5% surcharge for credit cards will be added to the final bill).

How old do I have to be?

  • 25 to 70 for car hire
  • 25 to 70 for minibuses
  • 25 to 70 for light vans and commercials. To hire a 7500kg GVW, you must have passed your test before January 1997. Proof of previous driving experience of this size vehicle is required.

How much is the deposit?

  • Deposits are variable depending upon the type of vehicle you require. This is paid to cover part of the insurance excess and a full tank of fuel.
  • Rental charges are payable in advance. Drivers with endorsements may be subject to larger deposits. All payments are required at the time of collecting the vehicle. All major credit/debit cards are welcome. Whole or part payment of charges may be required by credit/debit card. Outstanding payments are taken from the nominated credit/debit cards.

How much is the insurance excess?

  • All vehicles up to 7500kg GVW are comprehensively insured with an excess, this varies depending on the size of the vehicle, driving record and age. The hirer is responsible for any damage or loss sustained to the vehicle and is liable to pay the excess. Additional drivers are £10 per driver (licenses must be verified before any additional driver is added to the hire).

What charge will I pay for mileage?

  • Mileage allowance for cars, minibuses and vans comprises of 200 miles per day free of charge. Any mileage thereafter will be charged at 20p per mile plus VAT.
  • Mileage allowance for trucks and lorries comprises of 320 km per day free of charge. Any kilometers thereafter will be charged at 20p per km plus VAT.

What if I want to tow with a vehicle?

  • Vehicles are available for towing with prior arrangement only.
  • All mileage is charged at 10p per mile plus VAT when towing.

Is the windscreen covered?

  • Small chips are not chargeable, however, any damage which renders the screen unserviceable will be charged.
  • In the event of any damage and the screen can be repaired, the cost of repair will be charged.
  • We do offer a windscreen insurance cover.

What if I am late or wish to extend the hire?

  • The customer should contact the company. If any extra days are required, we can arrange to take payments from the credit/debit card or by monies brought in at the time of extension..

What do I do when I come back?

  • Please return the vehicle to our fuel pump, where it will be checked over. We recommend that vehicles are returned to us full of fuel, as any fuel dispensed will be charged for.

What do I do if I return the vehicle after hours?

  • Please park leaving as much room as possible for others returning. Place the keys in the deposit box at the side of the door. The vehicle will be checked and refuelled and your deposit will be refunded accordingly at the start of the next working day.

What happens if I breakdown?

  • In the event of the vehicle breaking down please contact us immediately on 301111 and we will deal with any problems as quickly and efficiently as possible.

What do I do if I want to take the vehicle overseas?

  • Under no circumstances are vehicles to be taken out of the UK without permission. A faxed copy of AA 5 star recovery policy will be required before vehicles are released.

Will my license allow me to hire a vehicle?

  • Our insurance company will insure drivers between the ages of 25-70 providing they have no more than 6 points on their license.
  • If the driver has any form of ban, they must have had their license back clean for a minimum of 5 years.
  • Hirers of minibuses with 15-17 seats must have a clean license.

What if I need to cancel my booking?

  • All bookings are prepaid and may be taken in advance.  Refunds will be considered if you cancel any booking 48 hours prior to the arranged collection time.

Can anyone else drive the vehicle?

  • Vehicles must only be driven by drivers whose licenses have been seen and approved by Myles Hire.
  • An additional driver can be added on commencement of hire providing all documentation is provided. There is a charge for additional drivers
Web Design : Web Management Consultants Ltd    Copyright © 2011